Museum of Precious Stones (Ural Geological Museum)
The Ural Geological Museum is rather young in comparison with other big Russian and foreign museums with a century-old history. It was founded in 1937 as an exhibition of mineral-ore treasures organized to the 17th session of International Geological Congress. In 1938 the exhibition was transferred to the Ural Geological Institute.
The Ural Geological Museum is a proud of the Ural State Mining University. Nowadays it is not only a state treasure-house of Ural and other rock materials, but also a cultural center carrying out large tutorial, scientific and educational work and uniting true patriots and admirers of minerals. The museum is housed in a four-story building on the crossing of Khokhriakov and Kuibishev streets. The main aim of the museum is accumulation, investigation, systematization of rock material of Ural deposits and its keeping for the next generations.
The museum is a regional one. There are more than 40 thousand exhibits in its collections, reflecting the mineral riches and geology of the Urals.