The name is first mentioned in 1480, when Ivan III settled many Novgorodians in the area.They built the church of St Sophia, modelled after St Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod, and called the area Lubyanka after the Lubyanitsy district of their native city.
Lubyanskaya Square, or simply Lubyanka in Moscow lies about 900m north-east of Red Square. History first records its name in 1480, when Grand Prince Ivan III of Moscow, who had conquered Novgorod in 1471, settled many Novgorodians in the area. They built the church of St Sophia, modelled after St Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod, and called the area Lubyanka after the Lubyanitsy district of their native city.Lubyanka Square is best known for the monumental Lubyanka Building, designed by and constructed from 1897 to 1898. Originally built for the insurance company Rossiya, it later became better known for housing the headquarters of the KGB in its various incarnations. the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation (FSB) occupies the building. The square was renamed Dzerzhinsky Square for many years (1926–1990) in honor of the founder of the Soviet security service, Felix Dzerzhinsky. Yevgeny Vuchetich's monumental statue of Dzerzhinsky (nicknamed Iron Felix) was erected in the center of the square in 1958.Opposite the FSB building stands the massive Detsky Mir (Де́тский мир; Children World), Europe's largest children's store, built between 1953 and 1957 and fully restored in 2014. It hosts in its main atrium the world's largest mechanical clock movement: Raketa Monumental.